Bread Machine Challah Recipe
Debbie is asked for this recipe a lot, so I thought it would make a great first RECIPE post here!
Bread Machine Challah
2 cups flour
4 Tbspn sugar
1 tspn salt
2 Tbspn oil
3 tspn yeast
- combine egg and enough water to make ¾ cup
- Pour egg/water mixture into bottom of mixer
- Pour flour into center of mixer (on top of egg/water mix)
- Pour sugar to one side of flour, salt to a different side, and oil on top of the salt
- Make a well in the center of the flour pile and place yeast in well
Recipe can be doubled depending on size of bread machine. Put machine either on dough cycle or bake cycle.
For dough cycle:
- Remove from machine when dough is done.
- Braid and let rise 40 min in a warm place (I use a warm oven, preheated to 170 about an hour before and then turned off. When rising the dough, I leave the door open.)
- (optional) coat with egg-wash before baking
- Bake in a convection oven at 300 for 40 min, or a regular oven at 325 for 40 min