Today is forty-four days which are six weeks and two days in the Omer.
Hayom arba’ah v-arba’im yom shehaym shishah shavuot ushnay yamim la-omer.
3 things you hope to accomplish by the start of the High Holidays
photo credit: Great Beyond
I posted my goals for the year “11 for 11“, so rather than create a whole new set of things to try to do, I’m going to take a moment here to see how I’m doing so far, and what is left to do:
- Get to bed on time. While it doesn’t sound particularly Jewish at first blush, plenty of texts from Torah on forward command that we not injure, weaken or ruin ourselves. It’s time I got into line on that one.
Participate in Jewish learning – take a class, get involved in a Havurah, whatever.
Remember that “participate” is not synonymous with “lead”. Learn to shut my mouth and just listen for a change.
- Pay attention to what I’m eating. Not in the dietary sense (although that would be a good one, too). I’m one of those folks who tend to chew mindlessly. Food is just “stuff” you shove in so that you don’t die. I need to start appreciating food and everything it represents (from the Blessing of having enough to the effort people took to prepare it)
Keep working to improve my ability to daven (Hebrew fluency, comprehension, remembering all the darn nusach and trope…)
Not lose sight of Kavannah while I try to improve speed and accuracy.
Get better at observing the spirit of Shabbat along with the halacha. Learn how to kick back and actually relax.
Read some Jewish books. Only let half of them be “how to” guides.
- Add Mincha/Ma’ariv to my daily prayer habits
- Continue to find online Jewish resources and contribute to THEIR content – be part of the conversation.
- Chant Torah at least once per quarter. It is completely out of my comfort zone, which is why it’s probably good for me.
Not bad for the halfway point! So waht are my top 3?
- While I’m working on getting to bed at a decent hour, I barely make it a third of the time.
- Ditto my rate on being more mindful about what I’m eating. Better, but not good enough.
- I’m getting to Mincha/Maariv more often than before (which was never). But it’s still not consistent.
posted on June 2, 2011 in Uncategorized
share Digg This! | Share on Facebook | del.icio.us
discuss No Comments